The Influential Actuary: How Actuaries & Other Technically Oriented Professionals Set Themselves Apart
Make a Difference - Stand Out - Be Heard
Great resource for a whole department to read and discuss. Contact us about bulk discounts.
Great book. Pity I didn't have it ten years ago. I see many of the mistakes I've made discussed here. Will be making it a compulsory read for my staff.
-- Phillip Everett, Head of Group Capital & Pricing Intelligence at National Australia Bank
The first time I read 'The Influential Actuary' very early on in my career I saw it as a roadmap to the career I wanted. A few years later, when I had the opportunity to read it again, it became clear that this book is the compass I am using to navigate everyday communications at work. This is a must read for every actuary, no matter where they are in their career.
-- Sonia Reigles ASA, MAAA
In The Influential Actuary, available in softcover and ebook formats, by David C. Miller lays out specific tools and strategies that enable actuaries and other technical professionals to add greater value to their organizations by being more influential in the way they communicate, influence and relate to others.
Working for 16 years as both a company and consulting actuary, Dave saw first-hand the marketing challenges actuaries can face in their organizations. Actuaries are often seen in a limited light. They are viewed as backroom technicians who are brilliant at what they do, but lack the high level business acumen to be useful in more senior and strategic roles.
While many actuaries have defied this stereotype, many more have not. In a study done by the Society of Actuaries, many employers indicated that actuaries in general lack the business savvy skills needed most by executives.
The Influential Actuary is a practical manual instructing actuaries on how they can break through these perception barriers and make a greater impact on their organizations. The author has created a website where book purchasers can gain access to additional developmental tools.
You will Learn:
- The skills that four influential actuaries believe most contributed to their success.
- Five core competencies needed to master interpersonal effectiveness.
- Ten critical mistakes that make communication ineffective and how to avoid them.
- A specific model to use when selling your ideas to senior management.
- How to build your relationship portfolio.
- How to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-actuaries.
- Practical strategies to successfully move out of your comfort zone and set yourself apart!
The Influential Actuary ebook
Digital Content is now Easier to Access & has More Features...
Digital content can now be accessed from any device, online or off-line. Just visit the My Account/My Learning Tools section of the ACTEX|Mad River Books website to begin studying! Our new eReader lets you write and print notes, comments & annotations as well as underline, cross out, and highlight text.
Terms & Conditions:
- Accessible through your ACTEX | Mad River Books account/web browser, offline via a FREE desktop player, & online or offline via a mobile application
- Compatible with PC, mac, Android or iPhone
- License valid for 5 Years
- One User per license allowed; no transfers, exchanges or returns. (Sharing and/or resale is prohibited)
- No Printing
- Access to content on up to four devices
- Use off-line for up to 5 days at a time
- NO RETURNS
Resale, sharing or any other violation of copyright is not allowed. Copyright infringement is a violation of the SOA Code of Professional Conduct and can result in discipline procedures.
1. Set Apart
2. The Interviews with Influential Actuaries
Knowing What Makes People Tick
3. Identifying Your Client’s Style
4. Adapting to Your Client’s Style
5. Pay Attention to Tension
Knowing How to Sell Your Ideas
6. Principles of Influence
7. The Power of Listening and Asking Questions
8. The Influential Conversation
Getting Out There & Playing the Game
9. Know and Be Known
10. High Impact Communication
11. Mastering Your Psychology
12. Coaching Yourself to Success
Appendix: Suggested Action Steps
Solutions from Leadership Growth Strategies