ACTEX Learning Presents:
ACTEX eLearning Webinar:
Python for Actuaries: Introduction to Data Analysis
Co-Sponsored by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
1.8 SOA/EA CPD, CAS CE Credits/Training Hours
This is a potential source of 1.5 hours of CPD for the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
All prices are in USD
According to a 2016 KDnuggets poll, Python is the second most used Analytics and Data Science Software next to R and is experiencing double-digit growth in usage among data scientists.** Unlike R, Python is a general-purpose programming language demonstrating advanced capabilities separate from analytics and data science, such as application programming interface (API) and website development.
This webinar provides an introduction to the data analysis and manipulation capabilities of Python. The advantages and disadvantages of Python programming will be covered as well as how to integrate with Excel. All data analysis is done within the context of analyzing healthcare claims data files common to actuarial work.
- Introduce the actuary to the Python programming environment
- Provide background on the advantages and disadvantages of the Python programming language versus other common actuarial programming languages
- Offer general guidance as to why an Actuary would choose to program a project in Python
- Introduce the Python Data Analysis library – Pandas. Demonstrate how to:
- Easily read and write to a variety of data files
- Initialize and populate Data Frames
- Manipulate Data Frames to automate standard data operations including filtering, merging, aggregating and mapping
- Automate pivot table generation with only one line of Pandas code
- Read and write to Excel
Who Should Take this Course?
- Actuaries who have heard about Python but don’t know how it is different from other software tools or where to start
- Actuaries looking to automate common data operations
- Actuaries looking for employment in technology-focused jobs such as InsurTech
**“R, Python Duel As Top Analytics, Data Science Software" – KDnuggets 2016 Software Poll Results http://www.kdnuggets.com/2016/06/r-python-top-analytics-data-mining-data-science-software.html
Andrew M. Webster, M.S., ASA, MAAA
Please take a moment to read Andrew's story in the ACTEX Blog: "How Python Saved My Company"
Founder, actuary and licensed broker at Validate Health, a member company of the HealthTech incubator MATTER in Chicago, IL. Validate Health provides cloud-based actuarial analytics and reinsurance procurement services to Accountable Care Organizations.
Andrew is also webmaster and predictive analytics track lead at the Chicago Actuarial Association, mentor for the Society of Actuaries non-traditional internship program and co-organizer of the Chicago InsurTech Meetup.
Andrew has been writing Python code since 2008 when he was employed as a software programmer at a leading Electronic Medical Records software company. He has used Python to scrape websites for data, automate data migrations, perform data analytics, fit statistical models and write website applications. His company, Validate Health, was named one of twelve Python-based companies selected for the 2016 PyCon Startup Row. Andrew believes that Python will be a valuable skill for Actuaries to master for future employment in emerging InsurTech jobs.
Multi-Connection Corporate Customers: ACTEX will provide a self-registration site and activation key for your participants. The first 100 will be enrolled in this webinar. This makes it easy to offer continuing professional development opportunities without the need for administrative attention.
The registration fee includes 180-day unlimited on-demand access to this event and the handouts.
All prices are in USD.
Participants must agree to the ACTEXeLearning.com Site Policy in order to access this webinar.
EA Credit Information:
The Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) has approved ACTEX as a qualifying sponsor of continuing professional education (CPE) programs for enrolled actuaries.
ACTEX believes in good faith that you may earn continuing professional education (CPE) non-core non-ethics credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this webinar. The JBEA makes the final determination about what constitutes core, non-core, ethics, or non-ethics CPE and the number of CPE credit hours allocated.
What is the difference between 10+ participants & 1-connection and 10+ participants & Multi-connection?
'Connection' refers to how many participants will access our Webinar by signing-in at ACTEXeLearning.com.
Customers who have purchased a 1-connection option will have the purchaser sign-in and share the video on their monitor (or via video-conference, Skype or other video sharing format) with up to the number of participants purchased for. Username and password information is not to be shared with the other participants.
Customers who have purchased our Multi-connection option will be sent login information and an access key. Each participant will then be able to login on their own computer, with their own username & password, at their own convenience.
- Access information is sent to the email address listed under Shipping Information on your order.
- If you have 8+ participants needing their own access you should select our Multi-connection option for the best value.
- All registrations include 180-day unlimited on-demand access to the Webinar and the handouts.