StudyPlus+ online tools are included with your purchase of this study manual:
- Virtual eFlashcards
- Digital formula sheet
- Actuarial exam and career strategy guides
- Technical skill eLearning tools
- Samples of Supplemental Texts & Study Tools
- And more!
StudyPlus+ access is provided to customers of the printed manual for 12 months. Access codes are included within printed study manuals on a fluorescent yellow or green page, near the front of the manual. Digital manual customers gain access to StudyPlus+ immediately upon confirmation of an order, for a duration matching the digital manual license (including any extensions.)
Digital Manuals are now Easier to Access & have More Features...
Digital Manuals can now be accessed from any device, online or off-line. Just visit the My Account/My Learning Tools section of the ACTEX|Mad River Books website to begin studying! Our new eReader lets you write and print notes, comments & annotations as well as underline, cross out, and highlight text. Licenses are available in 12-month AND 6-month terms*. And BRAND NEW 3-month and 6-month license extensions (no printing) are offered exclusively through the My Learning Tools platform.
Terms & Conditions:
- Accessible through your ACTEX | Mad River Books account/web browser, offline via a FREE desktop player (required for printing - 12-month licenses ONLY), & online or offline via a mobile application
- Compatible with PC, mac, Android or iPhone
- One User per license allowed; no transfers, exchanges or returns. (Sharing and/or resale is prohibited)
- Print up to 30% of the manual (total) with the 12-month license. *Printing is not authorized for the 6-month license or extensions.
- Access to content on up to four devices
- Use off-line for up to 5 days at a time
- NO RETURNS
Resale, sharing or any other violation of copyright is not allowed. Copyright infringement is a violation of the SOA Code of Professional Conduct and can result in discipline procedures.
Printed manual is three-hole punched, shrink-wrapped, and notebook-ready for convenient transporting.
This edition can be used for any P/1 exam sitting in 2017 or 2018.
ASM STUDY MANUAL FOR SOA P
The ASM for P manual offers comprehensive coverage of the syllabus for Exam P in its 30 lessons. Examples of the topics discussed are:
- Basic properties of probability
- Conditional probability and Bayes’ Theorem
- Probability Generating Functions
- Random variables
- Moments, percentiles, and modes
- Joint distributions
- Binomial, negative binomial, Poisson, exponential, and normal distributions
- Central limit theorem
- Order statistics
- Moment generating functions
- Transformations of random variables
The manual has over 500 pages with about 83 examples and 597exercises. Of these exercises, 151are original; the others are taken from old exams or are SOA sample questions. All exercises have complete solutions. In addition, the manual has 6 practice exams consisting of 30 original questions.
NEW FOR SPRING 2018: Added new lesson on Probability Generating Functions. Includes corrections to all known errata.
Abraham Weishaus Ph.D., FSA, CFA, MAAA
Abraham was formerly a financial reporting actuary for Guardian Life Insurance Company. He served on the SOA's Education and Examination Committee for 11 years. He also taught exam preparation courses for the Actuarial Society of Greater New York (ASNY) for 15 years and for CAMAR for 6 years. Abe is currently a professor at Columbia University and teaches exam preparation courses at St. Johns University. He has been an ASM author for over 16 years and publishes material for exams P, CAS S, MFE, MLC and C.
CLICK HERE for ERRATA