ACTEX Learning Presents:
ACTEX eLearning Webinar:
The Power of Ethics for Professionals
Co-Sponsored by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
1.5 SOA/EA CPD, CAS CE Credits/Training Hours
This is a potential source of 1.25 hours of CPD for the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
Using the broadest definition, ethics quite simply means “how to live the best life.”
Ethics and professionalism have a number of common elements. They are also quite distinct. To become a professional, you need to pass exams and adhere to minimum professional standards and requirements. Do so and you are given a “driving license” to practice as a professional. By contrast, using the same analogy, ethics is about learning how to race a Formula One car, learning how to win races, and if the professional wants to, become a world champion.
Arguably most ethics courses available to professionals have weak narratives – they mostly only cover what could be referred to as “follower ethics.” These courses fail to share the more powerful elements of ethics that can be used to make professionals stronger, prouder, and more courageous--all essential elements in leadership.
This webinar will cover these more powerful, albeit dangerous, elements of ethics--aspects that are typically missing in modern professional training and indeed in modern education.
The topics covered in this webinar include:
- What makes you prosper and what simple steps can you take to help you prosper? What steps do you need to take to avoid regret?
- How can you use your heart and your gut to be more effective?
- What is schole?1 Why is it more important than school in order to build a better career and a better life?
- What are taboos and why is it important to see through them?
- Why is understanding character so important? What are key tells when assessing character?
- If you’re up against a brutish character2, what’s the key thing you need to do to overcome them? (Something that 99% of people and the media don’t seem to get.)
- How can you get “broad shoulders” – without going to the gym?
- When faced with a dilemma, rather than having to make a choice, how do you resolve the dilemma?
1 Schole – a Greek word for leisure that is the root of the modern word “school.” It originally referred to the ideal type of leisure that best facilitated taking thought and reflection.
2 A brutish character – from a classical perspective, a brutish character is someone who is pretentious and brutal in their actions in order to achieve their own ignoble self-interest
The webinar will include a number of examples showing how a more powerful ethos can be applied in practice – specifically actuarial and professional practice.
The objectives of this ethics webinar are to help professionals:
- To create stronger and more powerful professional outcomes
- To be better able to not just meet professional standards but to excel and surpass them
- To be better able to overcome the challenges and obstacles that get in the way of achieving ethical outcomes
- To be better able to consider the public interest and to create more progressive outcomes for both our society and for our environment
ACTEX believes in good faith that attending the webinar can be used towards meeting the professionalism skills training requirements of various professional bodies, including the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Scheme. Nevertheless, each professional body makes the final determination regarding this requirement.
Who Should Attend This Webinar?
Actuaries and other professionals at all levels of experience should get something out of this webinar. The examples used will be of an actuarial nature, but they can be equally understood by other professionals.
Instructor: Colm Fitzgerald, BAFS, MA, FSAI, FIA
Colm is the Director of the Actuarial & Financial Studies program in University College Dublin (UCD). Before academia he had a successful career in financial markets, where he was Head of Quantitative Trading in Bank of Ireland Global Markets. He is an active volunteer in the actuarial profession. He is a member of Education Board and the Board of Examiners in the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries amongst other roles. In UCD, he teaches classical ethics, workplace skills, actuarial risk management, investment psychology and trading, economics and finance.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes.
Corporate Customers: ACTEX will provide a self-registration site and activation key for your participants. The first 100 participants to use the key will be enrolled in this webinar. This makes it easy to offer continuing professional development opportunities without the need for added administrative attention.
The registration fee includes 180-day unlimited on-demand access to this event and the handouts.
All prices are in USD.
Please Note: Participants must agree to the ACTEXeLearning.com Site Policy in order to access this webinar.
EA Credit Information:
The Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) has approved ACTEX as a qualifying sponsor of continuing professional education (CPE) programs for enrolled actuaries.
ACTEX believes in good faith that you may earn continuing professional education (CPE) core, ethics credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this webinar. The JBEA makes the final determination about what constitutes core, non-core, ethics, or non-ethics CPE and the number of CPE credit hours allocated.
What is the difference between 10+ participants & 1-connection and 10+ participants & Multi-connection?
'Connection' refers to how many participants will access our Webinar by signing-in at ACTEXeLearning.com.
Customers who have purchased a 1-connection option will have the purchaser sign-in and share the video on their monitor (or via video-conference, Skype or other video sharing format) with up to the number of participants purchased for. Username and password information is not to be shared with the other participants.
Customers who have purchased our Multi-connection option will be sent login information and an access key. Each participant will then be able to login on their own computer, with their own username & password, at their own convenience.
- Access information is sent to the email address listed under Shipping Information on your order.
- If you have 8+ participants needing their own access you should select our Multi-connection option for the best value.
- All registrations include 180-day unlimited on-demand access to the Webinar and the handouts.