ACTEX Learning Presents:
ACTEX eLearning Webinar:
Statistical Modeling in Python
Co-Sponsored by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
1.8 SOA/EA CPD, CAS CE Credits/Training Hours
This is a potential source of 1.5 hours of CPD for the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
All prices are in USD
Andrew Webster just wrote a new article for the ACTEX Blog: "Why Actuaries Should Start Paying Attention to Python"
According to a 2017 KDnuggets* poll, Python has overtaken R as the leading programming language for data science and machine learning. In addition, Python is a general-purpose programming language demonstrating advanced capabilities separate from analytics and data science, such as application programming interface (API) and website development.
This webinar continues the “Python for Actuaries” education series by covering the statistical modeling capabilities of Python. Focus is placed on models commonly encountered in actuarial practice. All examples are performed within the context of analyzing healthcare claims data files common to actuarial work.
See the first webinar in this series: Click HERE
See the second webinar in this series: Click HERE
* “Python overtakes R, becomes the leader in Data Science, Machine Learning platforms" – KDnuggets 2017 Software Poll Results http://www.kdnuggets.com/2017/08/python-overtakes-r-leader-analytics-data-science.html
- Introduce the NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib and scikit-learn packages along with their roles in the Python ecosystem
- Pre-processing data using scikit-learn including handling missing data, converting categorical variables to indicator variables and other transforms
- Performing principal component analysis using scikit-learn to select diagnoses and procedures that are leading to the most modifiable cost variation. Reducing high-dimensional member features to a manageable feature set for regression.
- Building a regression model using scikit-learn to create a healthcare utilization model based on member demographic, diagnosis and sociodemographic characteristics. Methods include multivariate linear regression and random forest.
- Building a classification model to classify members into low-risk/high-risk patients. Methods including logistic regression, linear discriminant analysis and support vector machines will be covered.
- Learn goodness-of-fit tests in scikit-learn including R-squared, AIC and BIC.
Who Should Attend This Webinar?
Presenter: Andrew M. Webster, M.S., ASA, MAAA
Please take a moment to read Andrew's story in the ACTEX Blog: "How Python Saved My Company"
Founder, actuary and licensed broker at Validate Health, a member company of the HealthTech incubator MATTER in Chicago, IL. Validate Health provides cloud-based actuarial analytics and reinsurance procurement services to Accountable Care Organizations.
Andrew is also webmaster and predictive analytics track lead at the Chicago Actuarial Association, mentor for the Society of Actuaries non-traditional internship program and co-organizer of the Chicago InsurTech Meetup.
Andrew has been writing Python code since 2008 when he was employed as a software programmer at a leading Electronic Medical Records software company. He has used Python to scrape websites for data, automate data migrations, perform data analytics, fit statistical models and write website applications. His company, Validate Health, was named one of twelve Python-based companies selected for the 2016 PyCon Startup Row. Andrew believes that Python will be a valuable skill for Actuaries to master for future employment in emerging InsurTech jobs.
Multi-Connection Corporate Customers: ACTEX will provide a self-registration site and activation key for your participants. The first 100 will be enrolled in this webinar. This makes it easy to offer continuing professional development opportunities without the need for administrative attention.
The registration fee includes 180-day unlimited on-demand access to this event and the handouts.
Please Note: Participants must agree to the ACTEXeLearning.com Site Policy in order to access this webinar.
EA Credit Information:
The Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) has approved ACTEX as a qualifying sponsor of continuing professional education (CPE) programs for enrolled actuaries.
ACTEX believes in good faith that you may earn continuing professional education (CPE) non-core non-ethics credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this webinar. The JBEA makes the final determination about what constitutes core, non-core, ethics, or non-ethics CPE and the number of CPE credit hours allocated.
What is the difference between 10+ participants & 1-connection and 10+ participants & Multi-connection?
'Connection' refers to how many participants will access our Webinar by signing-in at ACTEXeLearning.com.
Customers who have purchased a 1-connection option will have the purchaser sign-in and share the video on their monitor (or via video-conference, Skype or other video sharing format) with up to the number of participants purchased for. Username and password information is not to be shared with the other participants.
Customers who have purchased our Multi-connection option will be sent login information and an access key. Each participant will then be able to login on their own computer, with their own username & password, at their own convenience.
- Access information is sent to the email address listed under Shipping Information on your order.
- If you have 8+ participants needing their own access you should select our Multi-connection option for the best value.
- All registrations include 180-day unlimited on-demand access to the Webinar and the handouts.